Perma-Seal News and Information
By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.permaseal.net/
Sump Pump Maintenance Tips
Sump Pump Maintenance Tips, Lou Manfredini
If you live in a home with a basement or crawlspace that has a sump pump, it needs some attention and Perma Seal can help.
Here are some tips and facts to keep in mind regarding sump pumps:
- You should be replacing your sump pump every 3-5 years if it’s a unit that runs regularly. Meaning; the pump runs 4-7 times a week. Always replace with a pump with the same horsepower and GPM, gallons per minute.
- If your pump does not run that often, say only with heavy rains then testing it once a month is a good idea. Fill a 5-gallon bucket of water and pour the water into the pit to activate the pump.
- Cleaning your pit once a year is also a good idea. Unplug the pump and then use a small rake or garden shovel to scoop out any debris. At the base of the pump is a screen, use a toilet brush to clear out the holes on the screen to enhance the performance of the pump. For best results, the pump should be pulled from the pit for this maintenance tip. This is where you may want professional help to get this task done.
- If you need to replace your pump, it’s a good idea to also replace the check valve to make sure it is working properly as well.
- Inspect the discharge hose; if the hose goes in the yard make sure it is pitched correctly, not kinked or clogged.
Now if all that is listed above seems like a lot of work then perhaps you call Perma Seal for their 15-point inspection. It covers all of the above and more and you can rest assured it will get taken care of the right way!