Crawl Space Encapsulation
Help protect your family and your home from excess moisture, toxic mold, unwanted pests, soil gases and harmful airborne allergens. With a Perma-Seal Crawl Space Encapsulation System, you can turn your dark, dingy crawl space into a bright, healthy, useable space. Encapsulating your crawl space is very different from waterproofing a basement, it involves the use of a heavy duty liner as well as a specailly designed drainage system and sump pump to remove the water from your home.
Some of the features and benefits of encapsulating your crawl space are:
- An encapsulated crawl space will add additional bright, clean useable storage space to your home.
- Added insulation can help reduce your heating and cooling costs.
- The wall and floor liners act as a barrier to insects, gases, odors and moisture, enhancing air quality throughout your entire living space and creating a healthier home.
- You can increase the resale value of your home. Water problems must be disclosed when you sell the house, which could turn away potential buyers.
- If any future problems occur, our Encapsulation System can be cut and re-seamed with minimal disruption.
Wall and Floor Liners
After homeowners remove their belongings and a rough grade is established, we place a floor liner over the ground to become the base of the encapsulation system. These liners help disperse soil gases and enhance water drainage below the floor liner. Then, one of our wall liners is completely sealed over the floor and walls to fully encapsulate the crawl space and isolate the area from the outside earth. All of our wall liners are 100% waterproof and will act as a barrier to moisture, gases, insects and odors, and will not support any mold growth. They are designed to direct any wall seepage straight into the drainage system and sump pump, helping keep your crawl space dry.
We use four main types of liners:
Soil Gas Dispersing Drain Fabric
- 100% Polypropylene fibers that won't rot or decay
- Added cushion for the floor to protect liner, hands and knees
- 3/4" flexible foam with vapor barrier on both sides
- Adds a R4 insulation value to the floor
- Much thicker cushion for the floor to protect liner, hands and knees
- 20 mil thick, puncture resistant liner
- 25 year warranty against punctures and tears
- Will brighten your crawl space
- Added R11 insulation value for exterior walls to reduce your heating and cooling costs
- Radiant barrier also reflects heat back into your crawl space
- Can also be installed in the rim joist for added insulation
You may not yet be experiencing standing water in the crawl space (or perhaps are unaware of it) but our 4” drainage system, in conjunction with a Perma-Seal sump pump and battery backup system, ensures that your crawl space will remain dry even if, or rather when, the existing situation deteriorates.
Soil Gas Ventilation Systems
A passive ventilation pipe is installed during the encapsulation process to prevent soil gases from building up pressure under the liner by venting them to the outside. This system never needs maintenance because there are no moving parts.
Rim Joist Insulation
A popular practice is to spray a closed-cell foam or insulation at the top of the wall and over the rim joist (where the foundation meets the floor joists). Sealing this joint can cause wood rot and severe damage to your home’s structure. Perma-Seal’s solution is to install rigid foam insulation (SilverGlo) between the floor joists. This is a breathable material and will help to insulate your crawl space and keep the heat indoors.
If you'd like to schedule a consultation with a member of our team to discuss encapsulating your crawl space, please contact us today.