Bowed Foundation Walls
Bowed walls are a common problem in Chicago and the surrounding areas. Learn what causes them and how you can identify issues in your home.
What Are Bowed Foundation Walls?
Bowed walls can mean problems for your home in Chicago. That’s why our team of experts at Perma Seal is proud to offer bowed wall repair. Bowed foundation walls are a structural issue commonly found in buildings with basements or crawl spaces. These walls, typically made of concrete or masonry, develop a noticeable inward curve or bulge. The bowing occurs due to various factors, including hydrostatic pressure, poor construction techniques, expansive soil, frost heave, or insufficient reinforcement.
When the soil surrounding a foundation becomes saturated with water, it exerts pressure against the basement walls. Over time, this hydrostatic pressure can cause the walls to bow or buckle inward. Additionally, expansive soil, which expands and contracts with changes in moisture content, can push against the foundation walls and contribute to their bowing.
Bowed foundation walls pose a significant structural risk because they weaken the overall stability of the building. If left untreated, they can continue to deteriorate, leading to further structural damage, water leakage, and potential collapse.
It’s important to consult with a qualified foundation repair specialist at Perma Seal to assess the severity of the bowing and determine the most suitable repair method for your specific situation. Timely intervention is crucial to prevent further damage and ensure the stability of the building.
How Do I Know if I Have Bowed Walls?
To fix a bowed wall, you first have to know if that’s the problem your home is having. There are several signs that can indicate the presence of bowed foundation walls. If you observe any of these signs, it is recommended to consult a professional at Perma Seal. We can conduct a thorough inspection, assess the condition of your foundation walls, and recommend the appropriate course of action to address any bowing or structural concerns. Here are some common indicators to look out for:
- Visible bowing or bulging
- Horizontal or vertical cracks
- Leaning or tilting
- Water leakage
- Uneven or sloping floors
Bowed Foundation Wall Examples
How Do We Fix Bowed Walls?
Fixing bowed walls requires professional intervention. The specific repair method will depend on the severity of the bowing and the underlying causes. Remember that addressing bowed walls promptly is crucial to prevent further damage and ensure the structural integrity of your building. Here are some common approaches used to fix bowed walls:
- Wall anchors or tiebacks: This method involves installing steel anchors or tiebacks into the soil outside the affected wall. The anchors are connected to plates inside the foundation walls. By applying tension to the anchors, they stabilize the walls back into place. This method is suitable for moderate to severe bowing.
- Carbon fiber reinforcement: Carbon fiber strips or straps can be applied to the interior surface of the bowed walls using an epoxy adhesive. These carbon fiber materials are incredibly strong and help distribute the structural load, preventing further bowing. Carbon fiber reinforcement is often used for less severe bowing or as a preventive measure.
- Wall bracing: Steel braces can be installed against the interior surface of the bowed walls, anchored to the floor joists and the concrete basement floor. The braces provide additional support and help straighten the walls. This method is suitable for moderate bowing.
Contact Us for Bowed Wall Solutions In Chicago and NW Indiana
If you are looking to save money while making your home more comfortable, we can help. Our team at Perma-Seal offers professional foundation repair services using our various solutions designed for your home or business. Contact our experts today by calling 800-421-7325 or click the button below to fill out our online contact form.