Perma-Seal News and Information
Perma-Seal Receives Award for Community Contribution
On last Wednesday, Perma-Seal was honored to receive the Award for Community Contribution. At the Downers Grove Area Chamber of Commerce awards ceremony on February 9th, Perma-Seal was recognized for their philanthropic involvement in the community.
The benevolence of the Chicago basement waterproofing company has been felt locally, and all of the way to New Orleans.
At an Annual State of the Business Meeting some years ago, a new vision statement was presented and eagerly embraced. The company’s Founder and President, Roy Spencer, announced that the company would be making a concerted effort to “make the world a better place.” He believes that most people have an innate desire to help those who are in need by doing more than simply making a financial donation to a charitable organization. He addressed his company of over 200 employees, “We will provide avenues of expression for people’s innate desire to give.”
Perma-Seal helps Grant-A-Wish
In 2007, Perma-Seal heard about a need that Chicago’s Grant-a-Wish non-profit organization had. Their inventory of donated goods was being lost to moisture and mold that was in the basement where it was warehoused. Perma-Seal responded to the need, donating goods and services. While providing waterproofing services to eliminate the moisture in the basement, Roy noticed that other parts of the structure were in need of repair. He contacted WGN Radio to broadcast a further call for assistance. The station sent a call to help, and listeners responded with donations of materials and services.
Perma-Seal helps in New Orleans
When Roy Spencer heard about the lack of progress in rebuilding the Lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans 3 years after hurricane Katrina, he presented the opportunity for his employees to join a team that would participate in a five-day project to rebuild homes. Filling two Perma-Seal box-trucks with donations of clothing, furnishings, appliances and gift cards, 10 employees made the trip to New Orleans to help to rebuild homes for families who were victim to this devastating storm. Although only 10 were able to go, the vision was shared throughout the company as many of the Perma-Seal team followed the daily progress through a blog.
In addition to these projects, Perma-Seal has and continues to contribute to many other organizations. Due to the overwhelming requests for support, Roy Spencer is in the process of developing the Perma-Seal Community Foundation, whose mission is to provide funding for local not-for-profit organizations and resources and support to the education of our youth.
Some of the recent organizations to whom Perma-Seal has supported through funding, products and services:
- Salute, Inc. - a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing awareness and support of issues facing deployed, active and veteran military members and their families and to provide financial support through advocacy and fundraising. Perma-Seal provided an extensive amount of waterproofing to a local military veteran.
- The DuPage Community Foundation – was created in 1986 to benefit the residents of DuPage County, Illinois. Perma-Seal established a donor advised fund with The DuPage Community Foundation to support the needs of the community in which we work and reside.
- Downers Grove South High School – Perma-Seal provided financial support to the High School’s STRIVE Program, a structured after school environment where students can complete homework or study for tests. The program can now be expanded to serve an additional 15% of the population.
- Misericordia – offers a community of care that maximizes potential for persons with mild to profound developmental disabilities, many of whom are also physically challenged. Perma-Seal has supported Misericordia’s fund raising event for the past several years.
- Elmhurst College – Perma-Seal provided financial support for their Multicultural Literacy: Bringing All Children Together program.
- Literacy DuPage – Perma-Seal provided financial support their mission of providing free accessible and customized tutoring in reading, writing, speaking and understanding English to help adults achieve independence.
- Educare of West DuPage – is a high-quality early childhood center where children most at risk for school failure can enter kindergarten engaged, healthy, eager to learn, and ready to succeed. Perma-Seal provided financial support for their West Chicago Center.
- Respond Now – has been answering the emergency needs of residents of the Chicago South Suburban Area. The Perma-Seal team collected coats, hats, gloves, underwear, toys and books, enough to fill a box-truck, as well as volunteers to man their Holiday Store.
Other contributions include those to:
- St. Joseph School
- DuPage PADS
- St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry
- Local Boy Scout Troops
- Downers Grove Youth Baseball
- The Larkin Center
- Illinois Institute for Entrepreneurship Education Chicago
- Sun-Times Charity
- Chicago Tribune Foundation
- Children’s Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation
- Share Your Soles
Perma-Seal Basement Systems is located in Downers Grove, IL, and serves the entire Chicagoland area and Northwest Indiana.
Perma-Seal Basement System
513 Rogers Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515