Sewer line repair: These three words are hated by property owners throughout the country, and no wonder. Sewer line repair is often pricey, and people are usually responsible for the part of the sewer line running from the house to the street. In this region, tree roots might grow through pipes, built-up substances can block water lines, and older steel or clay pipes might disintegrate completely. Fortunately, if you're able to spot the following beginning warning signs of failing plumbing, you can usually save yourself money and heartache.
1. Bathtubs, sinks and showers that drain slowly. Slowly draining sinks, bathtubs and showers can be infuriating. In such aggravating scenarios, it may be tempting to respond simply by dumping Drano or Liquid Plumbr down the lagging drain, but this is unwise when dealing with older metal or clay water lines. Older pipes can easily be eaten away by these harsh products. Moreover, a slowly draining pipe is usually the first indication of a larger plumbing problem. To protect your pipes, get in touch with a professional plumber whenever you find a slow-draining pipe. A plumbing contractor can provide a professional assessment of the best solution to maintain your home's sewer system.
2. Odd sounds and odors. Unusual, powerful smells and unusual sounds are other indications of a sewer line problem. Sewer line repair may be required if your toilet is making peculiar gurgling noises or if a sewage sinkhole appears on your lawn.
3. Foundation-level water damage and mold. Sewer damage can cause added moisture to leak through your house's foundation. If you notice cracking around your home's foundation, or moisture on your basement wall surfaces, call a plumbing contractor to make sure that the moisture is not caused by a plumbing or sewage problem.
4. Changing water levels in the toilet bowl. Each morning, you notice that the water level inside the toilet bowl is very low. However that evening, the bowl could be almost full. Such shifting water levels tend to be an indication of a failing sewer line system, so call a professional plumber if you notice this occurrence.
5. Discoloration all around basement drains. Water ring staining around basement drainpipes are another sign that the sewer line needs the attention of a skilled plumber.
6. Flourishing pest populations. Deteriorating sewer lines are like magnets to mice, rats and some bugs. Sewer line repair may be needed if you notice an increase in pest populations around your house.
Especially with elderly plumbing devices, a leaky pipe is like a burglar alarm, signaling that other pipes can also be on the brink of failing. To get a grip on whether your plumbing system may last, an expert plumber may send a remote camera through your network. If any pipes are going to bust, the camera provides you with a heads up. If your whole plumbing system is out-of-date and weak, it may be ideal to simply replace the whole thing. Although this could be a pricey venture, the advantage is that a brand new sewer line will dependably perform its obligation for decades to come.
Please contact Perma-Seal ASAP at 800-421-SEAL!